Monday, August 18, 2008

My Version of Stuffed Zucchini

Stuffed Zucchini

This was a bit of an experiment, and boy did it turn out good! I thought about using rice, but had a can of chickpeas in the cupboard and decided to give it a try.


1 big fat zucchini
1 small onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 lb ground meat (I used half pork half beef)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup broth (I used veggie broth)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Fresh rosemary and thyme, chopped (just use how much you think looks good)

Preheat the oven to 375 f (175c in a fan assisted oven).

Wash your zucchini and cut off the stem. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and flesh until you have about 1/2" of "meat" left inside. Microwave it on high for about 4 minutes and set aside.

Brown your meat and set aside. Saute the onions and peppers (I used a little bit of the grease from the meat, you don't need much though) until they're soft. Then toss in the fresh herbs and garlic and add the meat and the chickpeas. Cook on medium for a couple minutes just to get everything mixed together well. Add the chicken broth and Parmesan cheese and mix well.

Now it's time to stuff your zucchini! Put half the filling in one side and half in the other. It will be heaping over the top, that's okay. Bake the halves in the oven for about 20-30 minutes. The filling should be slightly browned.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I just came over from your comment. I am sure glad I did because I have tonnes of zuchinni and this recipe looked amazing. I am going to give it a try. Thanks and so neat to read about someone so far away. It must be a beautiful country.

Chel said...

That looks YUMMY!! We all love zuchinni.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love this recipe and can you believe I think I have it all on hand. We have a massive amounts of zucchini from the garden, and I have a can of chick peas, so totally making this tonight. Thanks for the inspiration.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails